Friday, March 2, 2007

Garage Band

I have just completed my Garageband song. I have learned a lot about the basic concepts of the program, and I have to say, it doesn't interest me as much as I'd thought it would. It might be that I just don't have the knack for it, or something...Anyway, I'm reasonably happy with my "Summertime Interlude;" I enjoyed sampling the Billie Holiday and Louie Armstrong version of "Summertime." I don't really have the kind of patience necessary to become really involved in a little song; partly I suppose because I don't feel at all related to the song. It wasn't like I was writing a song, it was like I was just screwing around with loops. Which I was. I suppose if I ever got really into Garageband, I would try to do some more original things. I spent a long time trying to match up the tempos of my sample and the Garageband loops, and a couple of days wasting time trying to sync two samples from separate songs, which is virtually impossible. My final product is pretty crappy, and hurts the ears if listened to too loud; listening to someone like Kate Bush (which I am right now), I can understand a level of competency necessary for electronic music. I think that it's hard to make good music with something like garageband, because you can't develop a real sound. Anyway, it's done.
Stella

No comments: