Wednesday, April 11, 2007

New Digital Colors!

I'm pretty happy with how this assignment turned out; I was supposed to create a piece of 'digital art' in Fireworks using a pallet of colors I created using hue, saturation, RGB, etc. I was going to make a piece describing the city sky at night, with a tree in front of it. An image that always strikes me, color wise, is this kind of tree with smooth, pale bark, which is covered with little leaves, such a bright green, with a paler underside. They contrast stunningly with the sky at night. So that was my inspiration for my pallet. I made the sky, and even clouds with some devious copy-and-paste-and-fill-and-smudge trickery. But the tree eluded me, so I skipped it. Instead, I did some more copy-and-paste-and-fill-and-smudge.
I learned a lot about using Fireworks, by trying NOT to use their pre-made art tools, as cool as they might be. Mostly, that it's nowhere as usable as Photoshop, but Photoshop isn't nearly as compatible with Flash nor t3h internets as is Fireworks; I've found that the latter has an almost pre-made quality to it, like a 'that came from fireworks!' effect, whereas Photoshop leaves it up to you, which is more challenging. So for a vaguely artistic website layout design, I'd go with Fireworks, especially since I also discovered that when exported to Flash, your Fireworks document's layers remain intact.
I was not taken particularly unawares by any other challenges in this project; I only wish the program was a little more user-friendly. I like how it turned out, though I wouldn't consider it a "piece of artwork."
Riggidy Roll!
-Stella

No comments: